Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Greenland rules

Jane, one of my great pals, has finally seen the light. She’s now the proud owner of her very own Greenland paddle, made especially for her by our mutual friend, Bill Bremer.

Bill also made my Greenland paddle, which I used in this year’s Everglades Challenge, and goes by the corporate nomenclature of Lumpy Paddles.

One of the best trips Jane and I had together, with our fellow paddler, Dee, was a five-day NC trip from Cedar Island in Pamlico Sound, punching up and out Ocracoke Inlet, down the coast, surfing back in New Drum Inlet, and then a circumnavigation of Cedar Island via Thorofare Bay. We had a great adventure paddling down the coast, surf landings and camping on the wonderful wild beaches of the North Core Banks.

8 comments:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

I want that sleeping pad camp chair that Dee is in... She can keep the clogs! :-)

Kristen said...

You don't want that one, Capt'n! (And that's Jane.) It was absoutely enormous and weighed a tonne - so much so that it wouldn't fit in Jane's boat and it had to go in mine. But it sure was comfy!

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

I paddle a kruger... room for a grill fridge and a sofa... lets do this thing!!!

Michael said...

Greenland paddles do rock! I'd never think of going for a paddle without mine. I'm sure I have well over 1000 kms on her by now, maybe more.

Steve said...

Enjoyed reading about your circumnavigation of Cedar Island. I hope to do something similar in my John Welsford-designed yawl. I'll put in at Harkers Island, head north up Core Sound, west across the bottom of Pamilico Sound, down the Neuse River and back to Harker's Island via the ICW. How navigable - for a small sailboat -is Thorofare Canal. My charts are unclear. I don't plan to use the canal, but would like to have it as an option. thanks for any info. I enjoy your site.

Kristen said...

Steve, do you have an e-mail address we can correspond by?

Steve said...

steve.earley@verion.net

Steve said...

ooops, sorry

it is
steve.earley@verizon.net