Wednesday, March 5, 2014
KB and comrades are making good pace along the coast of Everglades National Park. The body of water you see at the lower right is Whitewater Bay, which they will cross to reach the canal that comes into Flamingo from the north. The question is, will they stop at Oyster Bay Chickee, which is inside the entrance or continue on? It's about 12 miles to Oyster Bay Chickee, so 3-4 hours at current pace. That's where SandyBottom planned to be tonight, but I can't check on her as her Spot has stopped transmitting. DancesWithSandyBottom is trying to get Santiago's track, as he thinks that's who she's with.
Other options for KB and friends include two chickees in the Joe River or going on to Flamingo. I'm skeptical that they'll push on to Flamingo. It's about 30 miles, and they've not shown much inclination toward late nights. As usual, we'll see.
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
The reservation for tonight is for Rogers River Chickee, about 25 miles as the crow flies from Chokoloskee, and kayaks don't (or shouldn't) fly. They either didn't get the message or have decided it's too far for today, as they appear to be heading out to the Gulf of Mexico. Here's the track:
Update: They did have lunch at Havana Cafe and are heading out to Mormon Key tonight to battle the raccoons. The plan is to stay outside until Whitewater Bay. KneadingWater is also with them.
As expected, KB had dinner at Marker 8.5 in Goodland and proceeded on into the 10,000 Islands, where she set up camp about 20:30, apparently with Seiche. This morning they were on the water by 07:30 and headed for Everglades City.
What they didn't know--and we hope they will find out--is that SandyBottom already acquired permits for camping in Everglades National Park. In WaterTribe, this what is called a "filter." The ranger station in Everglades City (marina at upper left, above) is open from 08:00 until 16:30 daily, and there are no advance campsite reservations. So the wise challenger times his or her arrival during office hours.
Checkpoint 2 is actually at Chokoloskee (lower right, where the causeway hits civilization), and each competitor must stop there. Besides, if at all possible, one wishes to arrive there during open hours for the Havana Cafe, which serves excellent Cuban food—worthwhile fortification for the two days about to be spent on the Wilderness Waterway.
Monday, March 3, 2014
It's been an interesting day for following kayakers. Weather reports have not indicated much wind, although it's mostly been out of the SSE. I'm guessing that's why KB started hugging the shoreline around North Naples and then went inside with SandyBottom at Naples. They're now cutting over to McIlvane Bay presumably to follow the canal next to highway 951 down to Marco Pass.
Dinner at Goodlands is often a part of the ritual at Marco--particularly if KneadingWater and Seiche are nearby. Beyond that, I'm not guessing. I don't know the 10,000 Islands other than that Indian Key is at the entrance to the Everglades City channel. That's about 15 miles after dinner. Here's what that looks like:
Yesterday was a tough day slogging into the wind (so much for the forecast), so KB stopped relatively early. She was on the water about 06:15 this morning and is currently approaching Naples.
KB, SandyBottom, KneadingWater and Seiche have been near each other for the past 24+ hours, appearing to paddle together sometimes and then separate slightly at others. Although all tend to get to the same place about the same time, each has a different pace depending on the conditions.
By now SewSew probably has already finished, as he was at CP3 midday yesterday, but I have had no confirmation of that as yet. Race management requests that we not attempt to use the WaterTribe tracking map, so that race personnel might be able to figure out where people are.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Forecasts are for another relatively calm morning but no shift to north winds in the afternoon. In one way that's good news, since it will keep the seas down on the exposed passage south of Fort Myers to Marco Island. The paddlers, of course, always hope for favorable wind but take whatever the wind's whim offers.
Kristen called home from CP1 last night and reported a great day on the water. She saw two porpoise and a sea turtle, had favorable afternoon winds and made good progress. She was off the water last night by about 22:30, which should have given her ample time to get her necessary five hours of shuteye.
Saturday, March 1, 2014
This section of the intracoastal earns its nickname, "the ditch." It's a depression lined with rip rap. There's generally little breeze and not much to look at. Of the portions of the EC route I've seen, it's easily the least scenic. In roughly another mile, though, it opens back up, but I don't remember much about it, because it was dark when I got there.
KB and SB are making good time today. They're about 16 statute miles from CP1, with an ETA of around 21:00. I expect they'll only stop briefly to get water and check in. They'll camp a little farther along, before the Charlotte Harbor crossing.
I had a Spot Check/OK message from her at 10:11 this morning, which I thought rather odd. She wouldn't normally send one of those unless stopping for the night or making a major course change. When I checked her position, however, I realized she was going outside at the inlet between Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key. This (and the weather report) tell me that conditions are quite calm. Winds are less than 16 KPH and predominantly controlled by the diurnal onshore/offshore swing.
To the best of my recollection, she's never before gone outside at this point. I suspect the rationale is some mix of novelty and avoiding powerboat wakes in the intracoastal waterway. Most likely she'll come back in at Venice Inlet, but she might stay out until Stump Pass, which is shortly before checkpoint 1. There are other alternatives as well should conditions change.
She's making quite good progress thus far, and at the current pace she should arrive at CP1 around 20:00. I'll update later this afternoon before heading off to a wedding.