Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day One, Later Afternoon

KiwiBird did come inside at Venice Inlet. The track above is only a couple of minutes old, so she's right next to Venice Municipal Airport. I now have a track for SandyBottom as well, and the two of them have been together since going outside, if not longer.

This section of the intracoastal earns its nickname, "the ditch." It's a depression lined with rip rap. There's generally little breeze and not much to look at. Of the portions of the EC route I've seen, it's easily the least scenic. In roughly another mile, though, it opens back up, but I don't remember much about it, because it was dark when I got there.

KB and SB are making good time today. They're about 16 statute miles from CP1, with an ETA of around 21:00. I expect they'll only stop briefly to get water and check in. They'll camp a little farther along, before the Charlotte Harbor crossing.

Until morning....



No comments: