Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chart fun

Pouring over charts has long time been a passion of mine, and I'm sure many of you feel the same. Fantasy trips, and those truly on the go, come alive when exploring remote coastlines and planning far off routes.

Thus imagine my delight when my brother Rob recently turned me on to a site he's found, offering TIF-downloadable charts from all over the world, courtesy of the New Zealand government. Now this is something to really get the blood pumping. Click on the second chart offered, NZ14061, and imagine yourself cruising the Pacific. Then click on NZ14601 and you too can appreciate what it takes to paddle across the Tasman Sea.

You even have the ability to draw on the charts, insert text and photos, etc.

The charts range anywhere from 3 to over 20MB, but saved to a disk and then printed off at your favourite Kinkos or the like, you should be good to go.

Dream on!

2 comments:

Michael said...

Good to have you back! I've a complete set of topos for Newfoundland on disc just awaiting out big adventure up there. Let me know when you're ready to launch. They merge perfectly with the NZ set, so once there, the world awaits!

DaveO said...

I wondered what you'd been up to and now its obvious. Fantasizing and poring over charts! I approve!