Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sailing away


Nearly a week after I arrived, dad and I packed up the boat and headed off from the marina. The forecast wasn't brilliant - stiff westerlies to nor'westerlies - but we were keen to get away. A following wind took us out Mercury Bay (so-called by Captain James Cook as this was where he observed the transit of Mercury) and around the point. We decided to reef with some good looking swells and white caps charging across between the point and Great Mercury Island, our destination. We were plastered! A tight board with 35-40 knots, we were glad of the extra reefs as the spray flew. And typically, we loved every minute of it.

We spent the next six days stooging around the island, before we headed north to Great Barrier Island. Nary a fish, cray, paua or mussel passed our lips - so much for my plans to live off the seas - with high springs and a metre easterly swell, the best laid rocks and plans didn't quite work out. But amazing what one can do with potatoes, carrots, kumara, pumpkin, eggs, a tin of salmon and a pinch of curry powder. And some wine...





4 comments:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

sweet judy!! awesome!!

Silbs said...

Those pictures stir this old sailors heart. I remember days on my Hans Christian 42, rail down, bow pitching in rhythmn with the water. Oh man.

Michael said...

Lovely!

Floatsome said...

Wow! Now I remember why I stopped getting sailing magazines. Makes me pine.