Sunday, December 9, 2007

Just like summer

Amazing day out on the lake today - not a breath of wind, with temperatures at 22C (72F). I mean, this is supposed to be nearing the darkest days of winter, and here we are, bang in the middle of a heat wave. Even more surprisingly, tomorrow's forecast is for 25C (77F), and it's going to be like that for the rest of the week. Not four days ago I was wiping ice rain from my front windscreen.

Didn't even bother dressing for immersion - think I would have passed out.

SandyBottom was also out there, doing a 20-miler to the dam and back, but our paths didn't cross.

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty with my blogger pals waaay up north feeling the real pain of winter.

So to make up for my guilty pleasure, the motor went on the back window of the '92 4-Runner, which means I can't open the back door. At least it happened upon returning to my put-in and not before. I'm trying to figure out whether this is something I can fix myself, having just spent three hours earlier this week replacing a side lamp and front main headlamp - taking the grill right off, which I swear has never been done from when the car was originally built, and unbolting the main lamp took most of the time. But at 171,000 miles, I'll let it run to the ground - it's a great means of transport.

7 comments:

Michael said...

Sorry to hear about the car, but it sounds like she's in the capable hands of a good mechanic! And yes, like you, I too feel sorry for the poor northern sots who stare out at frozen seas, wondering what will become of them during the long dark days ahead... Meanwhile, we paddle onward, fearing nothing, braving all!

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

I resemble that comment!! High of 10 degrees this past Saturday and I've been iced out locally for the first time in 5 years since we moved to Lake Mills.

Silbs said...

That's why Lady Linda and I talked with another couple about a trip to Tybee Island in February. Of course, it will probably be snowing then. Could you put some of that warm air in a jar and send it on up to us, please ?

DaveO said...

We're not too bright up here either. RonO and I found ourselves agreeing on Saturday that it was great that it was 5F because we could use the special green wax on our skis rather than the stickier blues and reds.

Adam Bolonsky Dot Com said...

Hi Kristen,
I noticed on your photo today that on the aft strap of your pfd your wearing what looks to me like one of the new SPOTT locater/notifier beacons.

Is that the case?

I just wrote a lengthy series on personal locater beacons (the consumer version of an EPIRB) and am waiting to hear from SPOTT about getting a unit to review.

If that's a SPOTT you're wearing, have you got any comments to send my way?

Thanks,
Adam Bolonsky
paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Adam-- lots of info at

http://www.thereandbackagain-taba.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

Hey, Silbs - do make sure you stop by on the way up or down - we have a fabulous guest room.